Dr. Neil Chen has performed cosmetic surgery in New Mexico since 1996. His clinical practice, Plastic Surgery Institute of New Mexico, is dedicated to providing the highest standard of care. With numerous academic honors, scientific publications, medical inventions, and talks at national and local conferences, he is a recognized authority in his field. He was recently voted as “top doc” in facial/plastic surgery by the other physicians in Albuquerque (Albuquerque Magazine 2006).
Dr. Chen’s education included a bachelor degree from Haverford College and a medical degree from Harvard Medical School. He graduated with honors from both institutions. Staying in the Harvard system, he then completed residencies in both general surgery and plastic surgery at the world renowned Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston. After serving as chief resident in plastic surgery at MGH, he accepted a highly competitive fellowship at the University of California in Los Angeles. Here, he honed his expertise in hand/microsurgery. He is board certified in plastic surgery and is a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons. He also has added qualification in surgery of the hand and is a member of the American Society for Surgery of the Hand. As a Clinical Assistant Professor at UNM Medical School, he enjoys teaching students. He has also devoted his time in performing free surgery for children from Central America and Russia as a volunteer in both the Healing the Children and Interplast programs. He continues to keep on top of the latest information and techniques in plastic surgery in order to offer his patients the best available care.
- Medical School: Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA
- Internship: Massachusetts General Hospital / Harvard Medical School
- General Surgery Residency: Massachusetts General Hospital / Harvard Medical School
- Plastic Surgery Residency: Massachusetts General Hospital / Harvard Medical School
- Fellowship: Hand and microsurgery: UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles
- Specialty: Plastic and reconstructive surgery, aesthetic surgery, surgery of the hand.
- Other Degrees: B. A. in chemistry, Haverford College, PA.
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS)
- New Mexico Medical Review Association
- Clinical Assistant Professor, Dept. of Surgery, University of New Mexico
- American Society for Surgery of the Hand (ASSH)
- American Board of Plastic Surgery
- Certificate in Added Qualification in Surgery of the Hand