About Dr. Neil Chen
In 1996, Dr. Neil Chen opened his practice as an Albuquerque plastic surgeon. His clinical practice, Plastic Surgery Institute of New Mexico, is dedicated to providing the highest standard of medical care. With numerous academic honors, scientific publications, medical inventions, and talks at national and local conferences, he is a recognized authority in the field of plastic surgery. Dr. Chen was voted as “top doc” in facial and plastic surgery by the other physicians in Albuquerque the Magazine and was also recognized as a Top Plastic Surgeon in New Mexico noted by Google, and Healthgrades.
Dr. Chen’s education includes a Bachelor’s Degree from Haverford College and a Medical Degree from Harvard Medical School. He graduated with honors from both institutions. Staying in the Harvard system, he then completed residencies in both General Surgery and Plastic Surgery at the world-renowned Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) in Boston. After serving as Chief Resident in Plastic Surgery at MGH, Dr. Chen accepted a highly competitive fellowship at the University of California in Los Angeles. Here, he honed his expertise in hand/microsurgery.
Dr. Chen is a board-certified plastic surgeon and is a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons. He also has an added qualification in surgery of the hand and is a member of the American Society for Surgery of the Hand. As a Clinical Assistant Professor at UNM Medical School, he has taught medical students in plastic surgery and cosmetic surgery since 2000. He also has served as a panelist at New Mexico Medical Review Commission over 12 years.
Since 2010, Dr. Chen has been a Cosmetic Surgeon exclusively, focusing on the art and science of his passion. His emphasis on natural rejuvenation and cosmetic surgery has earned him praise as one of the most sought-after Albuquerque plastic surgeons.
- Medical School: Harvard Medical School, cum laude, Boston, MA
- Internship: Massachusetts General Hospital / Harvard Medical School
- General Surgery Residency: Massachusetts General Hospital / Harvard Medical School
- Plastic Surgery Residency: Massachusetts General Hospital / Harvard Medical School
- Fellowship: Hand and microsurgery: UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles
- Specialty: Plastic and reconstructive surgery, aesthetic surgery, surgery of the hand.
- Other Degrees: B. A. in chemistry, Phi Beta Kappa, magna cum laude, Haverford College, PA.
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS)
- New Mexico Medical Review Commission
- Clinical Assistant Professor, Dept. of Surgery, University of New Mexico
- American Society for Surgery of the Hand (ASSH)
- American Board of Plastic Surgery
- Certificate in Added Qualification in Surgery of the Hand
- RealSelf 100 & 500 Hall of Fame Experts
- Top 3 Plastic Surgeon in Albuquerque, NM
- Voted Best Cosmetic Surgeon Albuquerque Journal Readers’ Choice 2022